Sunday, June 8, 2008

NDTV talking about the brave new world of blogs

Barkha Dutt of NDTV discussed about the new world of blogs in her talk show yesterday. It was graced by the presence of some popular bloggers across India. (Unfortunately I was not considered popular and so I dint get invited .I am angry about that barkha) .). The aim of the talk show was to ponder on whether blogs could be regulated.. Now without a debate, I would say that it is impractical and I would recommend readers to make a choice of blogs they like to read or ignore, so they can regulate it from their end. I would not like an external medium to regulate something that was basically created for the sole purpose of personal expression.
There was this girl who kept her identity anonymous and discussed intimate things on her blog and many read it , revisited her and wrote sick comments though they enjoyed her blog for a fact. I entitle this group as cowards. Barkha claimed that some blogs did engage in fabricating stories on people and I would say , it’s upto the people to make the right judgment after reading such blogs. A young gay blogger finds it easy to express his feeling on his blog than sharing the same with his parents or friends. A journalist in the show said that he is bored of saying stuff that others want him to articulate and so he finds blogging a means where he can express his own thoughts about something he strongly feels about be it discussing about his neighbour’s refrigerator or some other lame thing whithout worrying about getting edited. Like barkha put it, “Blog is definitely a small car with a bigger pollution”. It does have many advantages and drawbacks .To strike a right balance is the query here and as far as I am concerned, I still haven’t had the courage to blog something that I strongly feel about. Few years from now may be different.

6 comments:

alx said...

hi,i also watched the program....but i disagree with yo opinion ..... if blogs shouldn't be regulated since the reader has a choice then ,2 me the same principle holds for the content which comes on tv and censorship of cinema....the viewer has a choice!!...doesn't he???....so i guess the blogger should b responsible 4 whatever that appears on his/her blog & should be held accountable for the same

Vidya said...

Hi alex..thanks for your comment but I still stand by my opinion that the readers or the viewers (be it TV or cinema) have a choice of finding contents of their interest keeping in mind that each one of us have varied interests.For example I dont watch times now for various reasons.

alx said...

Thats exactly what i meant.So why is it that these people keep mum on the regulations that applies to tv n stuff??Don't u think this issue should be raised & media should be free to bring out what they think is right.

Vidya said...

the only way I can contribute to this issue is by writing on my blog[:)]

Anonymous said...

I just added your web page to my favorites. I like reading your posts. Thanks!.

Anonymous said...

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!I’ve been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work! Thumbs up, and keep it going!.