Friday, October 17, 2008

Poof! The job is gone…

NO! I am not talking about my hubby’s job but yes! 7 years back, the lay off terror in the US affected us when Aj faced it, But then we were free birds with no responsibility of kids and it was easy on us since we din’t have a housing loan or anything else to pay back. We just returned to our homeland !! where we were always safe. I am so GLAD we did that then. With the US market recession and many more lay offs now , I am sure I would not deal with it the same way I did 7 years back owing to the situation I am in right now .
The highly paid investment bankers are the prey to the situation now and it’s sad to see the BIG banks close down leaving thousands job-less. Getting laid-off in a country where there is no family support is bad. I feel sad for the Indians (and other global workers) among them with a H1-B visa or pending green card, who are especially vulnerable to layoffs. How does one sell the home, pull the kids out of school and flip over one’s life at such short notice? It’s also sad that many think that the I-bankers deserved it.
The joke on i-banks is that being an i-banker means working long hours. First you work long hours to make money and make MD, then you get divorced since you didn’t find enough family time and lose all the money so you work harder to make even more money, only to get laid off like this someday.
Thankfully for us , we have a roof on our head with no loan to pay back and no high interest rates to be bugged with. A decent investment and a check on spending too much may save our situation even if it meant losing job again. Fingers crossed!!!!
The recovery seems to be a long lug.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"check on spending too much..." is that what u do by visiting commercial street and shopping malls frequently, eh?? ;)) Lemme check with Ajith to hear his version of this story...

Vidya said...

@deepa
Letting me freak out in commercial street was a good bargain as against my demand for a malaysian trip ...haha